The Evidence Masterclass
The Evidence Masterclass is an immersive learning experience for decision-makers, including civil servants, charity leaders and local authority directors, who want to confront the challenges of using evidence in their work and become more confident users of research.
Throughout our courses, participants are taken on an evidence journey, developing their confidence in building the case for evidence use, understanding where to look for the most appropriate evidence for the context and how to communicate it to have the most impact.
Along the way, the learning groups are coached and facilitated by an expert team from the Alliance for Useful Evidence, who support participants to:
- Reflect on the benefits and challenges of using research evidence in developing policy and decisions.
- Share insights and experiences of evidence-based decision-making.
- Learn more about the use of evidence and become more confident in their approach.
The Masterclass draws on the evidence for what we know supports effective professional learning and behaviour change. By using simulation activities and practical examples, it places participants into the thick of real decision-making and the challenges of using evidence. This supports individuals to reflect, learn and develop their competence by problem-solving with peers.
The Masterclass is adapted to the context of the participant group, and can be adjusted to the time you and your team have; session lengths vary from between three hours and three days.
Who’s it for?
The Masterclass is not aimed at specialist researchers, but those working in social policy and practice who need evidence to help their day-to-day work, for example people who are:
- Making the case for new policies, programmes and projects.
- Writing speeches to influence senior audiences.
- Writing a submission of evidence to a parliamentary or assembly inquiry.
- Drafting a funding bid to a major UK charity funder.
- Or developing their own approach to evidencing their impact.
We want participants who have attended the Masterclass to leave feeling comfortable finding and using a range of evidence.
“We’ve received great feedback from Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) participants in the Alliance’s Masterclasses (whether ‘old hands’ or newer to policy roles). Especially appreciated was the chance to discuss what makes this hard in practice. You provided us with a great forum to chew over real life challenges with knowledgeable and friendly expert input. Highly recommended.”
– Sarah Bradley, Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
If you’re interested in commissioning a Masterclass or attending future sessions, please contact Kuranda Morgan, Learning Services Manager for the Alliance for Useful Evidence: Kuranda.Morgan@nesta.org.uk.