This invitation-only event marks the launch of the EPPI-Centre’s report reviewing the varying functions, methods and contexts of the UK What Works Centres.
The event will include a presentation of the report’s findings from its author Professor David Gough, with responses from leaders of various What Works Centres and the Chief Executive Designate of the new UKRI. This will be followed by panel discussions on broad themes including the What Works Centres’ relationship to their users and the government, and approaches to ensuring evidence quality.
The event will bring together policymakers and practitioners, What Works Centres and those thinking of starting their own intermediary organisations, as well as academics with an interest in evidence use.
Background to the report:
The Centres and affiliates that make up the Cabinet Office’s What Works Network were established to improve the way government and other organisations create, share and use high quality research evidence. They are ‘intermediary’ organisations that enable the use of research evidence in policy and practice decision making. Yet they have different organisational structures and funding arrangements, work in very different areas of social policy, and focus to varying extents on different parts of the evidence production-to-use process.
In this ESRC funded project Professor Gough and his team have examined the variation in function and method on a range of variables, including:
- The focus on the four domains of research production, engagement between research production and use; using research in practice, and the wider ecosystem in which research is produced and use,
- Methods of work and evidence standards,
- Organisational status and the relationship of Centres to the government and their users, and
- Sustainability and self evaluation.
Registration will open at 12:15 with lunch provided. The event will start promptly at 13:15. The event will close at 17:00 with networking drinks until 18:00
Attendance at this event is by invitation only - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending.
Monday 19th of March 2018 12:15pm - 6:00pm
- David Gough, The EPPI-Centre at UCL
- Mark Walport, Chief Executive Designate, UK Research and Innovation
- Jen Gold, Head of the What Works Team, Cabinet Office
- David Halpern, What Works National Adviser, Cabinet Office
- Leaders of What Works Centres