Stats, Facts & Evidence-Checking: what role for evidence in the General Election – and beyond?
Wednesday 4th of March 2015 Nesta, 1 Plough Place, London, EC4A 1DE 12:00pm - 2:30pm
This lunchtime policy seminar explored how to encourage the greater use of evidence during the 2015 General Election.
The seminar discussed the best approaches to using evidence to inform debates around the General Election. How can we ensure that politicians and commentators use the best available evidence in their promises, pledges and plans for the future? It also publicly launched the Conversation UK’s election manifesto checker.
Extended networking time after the seminar allowed for any informal partnerships to be discussed amongst delegates at the event.
Questions that were discuss:
- What are the best approaches to encouraging high quality evidence is used in discussions around the General Election?
- Many of the organisations involved in fact-checking or promoting evidence are charities or public bodies that need to be balanced and non-partisan. What is the best we can do to remain politically neutral?
- How do we avoid being overly negative by jumping on new ideas and initiatives that are not currently supported by good facts and evidence?
12.00 Sandwich lunch served and registration
12.30 Introduction: Geoff Mulgan (CHAIR), Chief Executive, Nesta (confirmed)
12.40 Ed Humpherson, Head of Assessment, UK Statistics Authority (confirmed)
12.50 Sue Cameron, journalist and broadcaster (confirmed)
13.00 Paul Johnson, Director, Institute for Fiscal Studies (confirmed)
13.10 Sharon Witherspoon, Director of the Nuffield Foundation (confirmed)
14.00 Events end. Coffee served. Opportunity to network
- Geoff Mulgan (CHAIR), Chief Executive, Nesta
- Ed Humpherson, Head of Assessment, UK Statistics Authority
- Paul Johnson, Director, Institute for Fiscal Studies
- Sharon Witherspoon, Director, Nuffield Foundation
- Sue Cameron, journalist and broadcaster
Some exciting vacancies in the Financial Capability What Works Fund team @YourMoneyAdvice at the moment https://t.co/d6J9XFUbFG(about 2 days ago)
Still time to apply to be an Evidence Masterclass facilitator with us (primarily in NI, Scotland or Wales). See https://t.co/8jtzQ819M8(about 2 days ago)
(about 2 days ago)
This week we're in Singapore delivering our #Evidence Masterclass and speaking at a conference for civil servants https://t.co/k675wj1aGE(about 2 days ago)
(about 4 days ago)